Monday, April 4, 2011

Miscellaneous Monday

When I went to write this blog, I was presented with a pop-up from Blogger informing me about 5 new views for the blog. Blogger said that I would have to allow these views from my settings in order for readers to be able to view my blog in the new ways. I checked it all out and am left wondering why I should care about controlling how others want to view my blog - as postcards, as a sidebar, as a mosaic, etc? It all looks good to me, all I really care about is that people read the blog. Let me know if you've tried the other views and what you think about them.

Loco's test for ehrlichiosis shows that he is now clear. "Stop the medication", the vet told me. I have no idea what level his platelets are as this was a different test and only showed whether or not he has heartworm or erhlichia. The vet does not want to check his overall blood again, he expects that Loco's platelets are normal as he is the picture of a happy, healthy dog. He even rolled around the floor on his back while the vet was here, just to show how happy and healthy he is. Honestly, I'm not sold on the fact that his platelets are not of concern, however, lacking any ability to transfuse blood anyway, I guess there's nothing else to do but move on and just let Loco live a normal life and hope he continues to do well.

Saturday I decided to cook weiners and sauerkraut - I'd been waiting for a day when we didn't have house guests so I wouldn't put them off with the smell, and today was the day. Miguel has never tasted it, but he wasn't home and I didn't know if he would be home to eat, so I made what I felt like having. The sauerkraut didn't brown as I would have liked, I think I need an iron skillet for that, but it tasted ok anyway. Miguel showed up hungry and I was sure he would hate the sauerkraut, but...surprise! He liked it. We never eat hot dogs here, but mixed with the sauerkraut, it didn't seem like eating hot dogs. There is a type of empanada they make here, chicken tinga, and it tastes a lot like sauerkraut (I think the cabbage is treated with lime instead of vinegar). I actually don't care for the tinga at all, but I do like sauerkraut.

Yesterday was a lovely day spent with Miguel just enjoying life here on the island. We took our morning coffee up to the third level and later picked up tostadas and salbutes, orange juice and watermelon, and went to eat beach-side. I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually got bored sitting and looking at the sea, and it was hot despite the breeze. When we got back home we laid in our hammocks with a lovely view of the front garden, and were cooled by a nice breeze from the shade offered by the plants. We both drifted off to sleep. Later we went up in the pool with a plate of guacamole while the chicken and vegetable medley roasted in the oven. I used to cook meals like that quite often but our lives became too busy and it was hard finding time to cook smaller meals never mind ones that need several hours in the oven.

Last evening when I went to make coffee, I couldn't find our coffee mugs. Finally I realized we must have left them up on the third floor after our morning coffee. Feeling tired and not up to climbing stairs, I decided to get them the next day. As I relaxed in the tub last night, I heard a crash and a smash, like glass breaking, and so was forced to go up and investigate. Yup, one of the mugs had fallen off the sink and smashed to bits. Luckily it was the one that had a crack anyway. So we're now down to just one of those mugs, we'll have to try to find similar ones the next time we go to Cancun. The size and shape of the mug shouldn't matter, the coffee inside is the same, but it's the tactile senses while holding the mug that make it an experience.

Speaking of enjoying a cup of coffee, here's a thought-provoking message for you to ponder...

Life is like Coffee Movie

Now, to get some work done...

7 comments:

karenwl said...

Beautiful sentiment.

Jana said...

Sounds like a perfectly wonderful day!

KfromMichigan said...

Sounds like a very relaxing day! BUT .. Bored looking at that beautiful blue water??!!

Life's a Beach! said...

Sue,Craig and I have also just been enjoying the weather and his newfound freedom. On Isla, I always feel conflicted about beach time versus hammock time. I feel guilty for not seizing every moment at the beach, but then again, it's vacation and it's fun to just relax in the hammock and read a book! (Unfortunately, I'll pass on the sauerkraut. I used to leave the house when my mother opened the can.)

jeanie said...

Great news about Loco!

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear Loco is better!

Sauerkraut! I recently saw a recipe for sauerkraut cake that I'm dying to try!!!

Loved the coffee link!

Linda
Isla Chica

drgeo said...

Hooray for Loco! We just bought a Scotty puppy yesterday and got a lecture from the breeder about stopping his "yearly" shots at 16 months. The theory is that toxins build up from the shots. Will know more after research time. Have been busy washing our bedding, two crate mattresses, and a t-shirt because peeing comes as a complete surprise! It has been 20 years since there was a puppy in the house.