Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Just checking in...

I was away for the last week. On Wednesday I flew to Orlando to attend a conference and do some networking. I flew on JetBlue for the first time, and have to say I was impressed with the airline. It was a direct flight from Cancun to Orlando - about 1.5 hrs in the air. The plane configuration was 2 seats on either side of the aisle, and I was lucky that nobody sat beside me. There was plenty of leg room, and the flight attendant came around with a basket loaded with various types of snacks, and we could pick what we wanted. We could even pick two if we wanted, and it was free. Nice!

On Saturday I flew to Canada. Jen picked me up in the afternoon and we went to Cracker Barrel near the Buffalo airport because I knew she would love the macaroni and cheese. That kid ate macaroni and cheese for lunch many, many days during elementary school. Cracker Barrel macaroni and cheese is delicious - the best I've ever eaten. I actually ate at Cracker Barrel in Orlando the day before, but I didn't care - I love mac and cheese too.

Later in the afternoon I booted up my laptop for the first time that day and checked all the usual sites, intending to write a blog. But I was so shocked and sad to read about Zina's dog Lora being poisoned, and this incident has been weighing on my mind ever since. Killed any desire I had to write a blog. Much as I love a lot of things about living here on Isla, I absolutely am tortured by the awful things that happen to the animals here. It makes me want to leave and never come back. Out of sight, out of mind?

But I did come back. I have my own little crew to protect as best as I can. It's a constant worry, I feel so vulnerable because there are things that are out of my control. I despair that things will ever change, and I applaud those who are working so hard to try to effect change - Delfino, Amigos del los Animales, spay and neuter clinics, and many others. It is so hard to keep plugging along against such odds, and so discouraging when cruelty continues to go unpunished. It feels like one step forward, two steps back, and it's hard not to be negative about living here.

So I'm back home, and mostly happy to be here, even though I know I will be fretting and doing everything I can to keep us all safe and healthy. It's exhausting, to be honest. But it's necessary.

So now you know why I haven't blogged lately. My heart just isn't in it right now.

7 comments:

jeanie said...

Thanks for checking in Sue. I've been worried about your little herd. I've cried buckets over Lora. I was so relieved today when Zina told me you were NOB and all was well.

Ann said...

Glad to know all is ok with you. So sad about Lora!

Life's a Beach! said...

Sue, glad to know you and yours are all okay. The news about Lora and what was happening on Isla is so sad.

Vee said...

I echo what the others have said, Sue. I have also had a little cloud over my head ever since I heard about Lora. Take care of your babies. Glad to know that you are all well.

KfromMichigan said...

Take care of all your babies! I'm sure it's hard to keep them in the house, but that is the safest place. I cry thinking of poor Lora. By the way, I'm glad you are back.

IslaZina said...

Lora and I thank you. Maybe Isla will be kinder to Boca, who was never a street dog.
I am glad you are back, too. I'll call you. I might nead a B&B spaces to sleep this weekend. Dr Camales is digging a failed implant out of my jaw Friday afternoon.

Bennie said...

I know that feeling of not being "into it" to blog. We all get there and I'm just glad to see you back.

Your animals are so lucky to have a great protector like you around.

I wish you didn't have to deal with the abuse to the animials there. I could see how that would tear you up.