Sunday, November 8, 2009

I made it to Cancun

Incredibly, US Airways flew me from Buffalo to Cancun today, despite me informing them that they were going directly into a cat 2 hurricane zone. That was news to everyone but they really didn't care. If I changed my ticket I would have to pay $150 as it would be a voluntary change, they didn't have any alerts going. I was sure the person who checks the weather and calls off the flights was just not working Saturday or Sunday, or at least was allowed to sleep in. Sadly, despite my efforts, USAir wasn't about to let me step in and call the shots. So I flew.

I flew first-class all the way (I will miss those complimentary upgrades now that I won't be flying the required amount of miles every year). I had a very goat-cheesy-tasting quiche for lunch, something I normally wouldn't ever order but that was what they served me, so of course I ate it.

I was on the left side of the plane so was able to look south as we flew across the Gulf of Mexico. Normally we fly right along the north coast of Cuba, but I have no idea if we did that or not, as all I could see from about the time we left Florida was a heavy cloud cover. A couple of times I thought I spotted the hurricane out there in the distance, but it was probably my imagination.

Cancun was surprisingly calm. It was obvious it had rained but that was all that I noticed. I took the bus to the station and then a cab to the ferry, only to discover that it was not running until probably tomorrow (hopefully tomorrow). We are still on red alert here as they want to be sure the storm doesn't circle back and get us. I am hearing frequent sirens from the fire station down the road - don't know if that is normal or not, or what it's about.

I'm at a hotel across from the bus station. I had a chili relleno for lunch/dinner, and now am in my room with the wireless internet. I will watch La Academia later this evening if I can keep awake that long. That is the only show I watch, it's our Sunday night tradition. Miguel will be there on the couch on Isla watching as well, and probably drifting off to sleep as he usually does.

So all is well, thank goodness. Our guests who did have their flight canceled today (yes, the Canadian airlines canceled flights) say they are scheduled to fly in tomorrow. I hope they have an uneventful trip and can finally get a start to their vacation. I was supposed to come to Cancun tomorrow to run some errands and meet my lawyer - hmmm...do I really want to go to the island in the morning and then turn around and come back here? I sort of need to, but it's just not appealing. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks to all for your comments of support, much appreciated!

6 comments:

jeanie said...

Glad you're almost home Sue. Let us know how everyone is when you have time.

Life's a Beach! said...

Sue, US Air is my problem now too. My flight evidently took off without me, but I wasn't risking going to Cancun last night. I can't believe they brought their planes into a Cat 2 hurricane. So I'll pay the $150 change fee and hope travel insurance will pick it up. Hope to see you!

Ann said...

Glad you're almost back to the island & it doesn't sound as bad as 1st predicted. I got an email from our student & she said they moved to a shelter since their house isn't too sturdy!

KfromMichigan said...

Glad you made it home safe. Well, almost home!

Jackie said...

Glad you made it almost home!

Bennie said...

I'm glad you made it home to Mexico safe and sound. Too bad you didn't make it all the way to Isla though.