Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Miguel's Next Step

For the last 5 years, Miguel has been mostly busy with building additions and apartments. In between he had Hurricane Wilma and the massive clean-up, a broken ankle that required surgery, and electrical burns to 30% of his body that required 15 days of hospitalization and months of recuperation and healing.

Miguel holds down the fort here when I am required to travel, and that is not insignificant now that we have such a menagerie of animals. He is also very involved in the upkeep of the gardens over at the apartments, resulting in massive bunches of bananas, fragrant jasmine, or plants for reproduction. Of course, when anything needs fixing here or there, Miguel is the guy to fix it.

Now that things have slowed down on the construction/renovation front, Miguel is able to pursue a business in Property Management here on the island. Several of our guests have been telling us that he should be working in this area, but it was never the right time.

But now the time is right, and so, we are proud to announce Capi's Property Management


Miguel will offer his services to people needing the simplest thing (maybe someone watching their home while they go away on vacation) to the complete package of services (home, pool, gardens). Price lists are customized based on need and size of property.

Good luck, Miguel!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome Miguel. Wishing you great success.
carl/debbie

drgeo said...

I wish Miguel would commute to my house in Texas! Bueno suerte !

Ann said...

That's great--much success!

Vee said...

That sounds perfect, Sue. Best wishes!

Jonna said...

Good luck to him on the new venture. My experience over in Akumal is that there are never enough good, honest and reliable property managers. Also, that it is a very tough job. Buena suerte y felicidades.

KfromMichigan said...

I could sure use a handyman!! Best of luck Miguel!

Island Nana said...

Here's an idea for an added business: Hubby and I think there is a market for secure storage on Isla. A place where folks who return year after year (but don't own property) could leave their dive equipment, snorkel gear, blender, beach towels, etc. = all those things that take up so much luggage space to cart back and forth. The space would need to be secure and have some provisions to guard against moisture/humidity damage and I suppose there are lots of other considerations. Just a thought....

Jane said...

Wishing you and your darling Miguel the best in your new venture. In regard to Judy's (GREAT) idea, I suggest contract that states, "... not responsible for mold, mildew, rust, etc. on stored items."

Anonymous said...

Congraulations Miguel. Just through your blog Miguel shows what a warm and caring person he is. Being a rental owner, he knows what is needed to keep units in great condition/and preventive maintence plus needs for vacation renters. People put their trust in property managers but not all really look out for your investment. As for an owner there has not been one time that we really get to have a vacation. It always turns into a working vacation. Sue I have followed you through original Isla message board. I think you were probably was first person I read about buying a house on Isla. I hope this business effort becomes the best on the island. I'm sure it will. I hope your readers share information and recommendations. Best wishes Judy(dujy) and Ed

Anonymous said...

An honest, dependable, and knowledgeable manager will surely fill a need on the island. Best wishes.

Johanna

Sue said...

You guys are so kind, such nice things you say about Miguel. I need to reteach him how to find my blog and see these comments for himself.

Drgeo and K - he would love to see the US one day but somehow I think you intend to put him to work...lol.

Jonna - I think you are right, it is a tough job taking care of other peoples' homes.

Nana (Judy) - we have thought about that but the exact issue you bring up is the concern - rust and mildew. But you never know...he has some space at the back of his property.

Jane - good point!!

Dujy - you are so sweet, thanks! And I can tell you that I have not felt like I've been here on vacation since I bought this house 8.5 years ago, there is always something to do, you're right. Of course, now that this is my full-time home, it cannot be vacation...but we have days that we act like it's vacation anyway. And I don't regret it a bit, I love having a home here (but don't ask me if I love having a golf cart here, I might not be so positive!).

Johanna - thanks!

Islagringo said...

I wish you great luck with this venture. Does he do simple carpentry??

I think the storage issue is very valid. I keep stuff for yearly visiting friends in my bodega and locked storage room. At their risk. I make them seal their own packages in plastic bags. Mostly coffee pots, sandals and the like. Give it some thought. I think there would be a market.

Anonymous said...

Congrats & best of luck!

Linda
aka Isla Chica