Thursday, October 1, 2009

Changing comment settings

Sorry to do this to everyone who wants to comment, but there is one post that keeps getting a spam comment (in Japanese, no less). I translated the comment and it was geared to leading people to an 'adult' site. It was not a valid comment.

So for now I'm turning on word verification, which I personally hate because I have trouble reading those letters a lot of the time and I get them wrong at least once, usually. When I want to write a comment, I just want to write it and be done, not mess around trying to decipher goofy looking letters.

However, the spammers of the world want to make it unpleasant for the rest of us, so for now I will play their game. I am hoping after a couple of weeks they will give up and find another playground and I can take word verification off again. I don't like letting them win!

6 comments:

Ann said...

Better to protect your blog; it's only one extra little step 7 I for one don't mind doing it if it helps you keep out spammers.

Ann said...

That's supposed to be an "&" not a 7!

Islagringo said...

I agree with Jamqueen. Sweetie, the spammers are here to stay. I don't think anybody really minds that extra step of word verification. Keep it turned on. You'll be happier.

(I have my comments set so that I have to approve them before they post. I've only ever rejected two and with good reason)

Leslie said...

its a sorry world we live in these days - its not a problem and you need to protect your blog...I understand the approval process Islagringo mentioned....I understand that world verification could stop mass exploitation, but I don't understand how word verification stops bad comments from posting from a single postee...

Sue said...

I hate letting the bad guys win, it just goes against my grain. and Leslie, the spam was automated, I'm sure of it - it was always going to the same post, which was months old. So far so good since I put in the word verification.

Bennie said...

I'm so used to the word verification I barely notice it anymore. I'd say leave it on.