Thursday, November 20, 2008


The night before last I woke up around 3 with a terrible discomfort in my stomach. Gastric pain, bloating, and nausea. I was up and down a few times trying to get comfortable, and finally took a Zantec, thinking it was acid irritation from my evening cup of coffee.

About an hour later, I knew it was something more - my mouth was salivating and my stomach was churning. I gave in to what nature wanted me to do and vomited a lot more liquid than I'd consumed in the last few hours. And that started 24 hrs of gastric illness. I was in bed most of yesterday - declined all food and most liquids. Miguel brewed up a tea concoction, swearing it would get me better. It was sweet so I sipped at it all day - by evening it was finally gone.

Delfino stopped by yesterday to pick up a sample of Maya's poopie. She is still going too often and he is going to check for worms (even though she had the meds once). She has been on the chicken/rice combination and nothing else since Saturday, and is full of energy and happy. Her coat is nice and clean and she is running around like she owns the place. Miguel calls her 'bola con patas' (ball with feet) for her fat little belly - she is quite round and does look comical as she tries to run. I thought she was round from worms, but Delfino said she is just 'fat'! Hmmm...must be baby chubby fat (but I still think it's worms).

After sniffing Maya and declaring her well and fit (although possibly still needing meds for worms), Delfino scooped up from her litter box and popped the sample into a baggie and into his backpack. Knowing I was sick, Delfino advised me to take the parasite meds for humans (which he has told me before and although I mean to, I have only done it once). I do not think that is why I was sick, but I do agree I need the meds anyway. Actually, the entire household needs the meds - when one is treated, everyone needs to be treated. And kind doctor that he is, he offered to examine my 'output' as well, if I'd like. Well, what a nice guy, but I had nothing at the moment to give him to put in his backpack and um...I'm sort of private about that anyway.

So I declined Delfino's offer and last night took the meds. The pack said to take both pills at the same time, so I did, against Miguel's wishes. Miguel wouldn't take his until this morning, I think he wanted to see if I survived before taking his dose. And I have survived, and am almost as good as new. My chest muscles hurt from getting sick, but otherwise, I feel much better.


Life's a Beach! said...

I think I would have declined to give Delfino my personal samples too! Sorry you've been sick Sue. Hopefully, it's all out of your system now. And men. I bet Miguel was waiting to see what happened! I know I'd be the guinea pig in our family. :)

Islagringo said...

I so believe in those parasite pills. We take them every 6 months no matter what. I really like the new ones like you took...only one dose. Those old "2x2x2" ones were a pain.

I know all about giving a goodie sample. Remember my post when I thought I broke my hip?

Ann said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

IslaZina said...

I got castigated for saying I had fleas. People just don't realize what life in the tropics is like. And I love those ameoba and anti parasite pills! Twice a year!

Scottozoid said...


Thanks for not including photos this time, Sue...

Bennie said...

It's been a while since I've had time to read the blog. Wow what a few weeks. I am glad to hear you are feeling better.

As for the cold you described in the past few posts.. Whimp! It's cold here in South Carolina.. Really cold like in the 20's.

I do have to say though when I was there last year in November it did seem very cold when you were on the golf cart. I guess you get used to the weather there quickly.