Sunday, February 15, 2009

Life's Small Treasures

I've pretty much lived all my life in a tourist destination; Niagara Falls, Ontario and now Isla Mujeres. Unfortunately, I get wrapped up in life's daily routine and forget to take the time to enjoy the things that bring people to my hometown every year.

When hosting visitors, I get to show them all my favorite things about where I live, and sometimes I end up doing something for the first time in my life.

In Niagara Falls, I'd never ridden the Maid of the Mist



nor shot the rapids in the Whirlpool Jet Boat.



Visits by friends and Miguel over the last few years prompted me to do both, more than once. Although both adventures were awesome, I probably won't do the Jet Boat again (twice was enough, thanks). But I would not hesitate to jump on the Maid of the Mist any time, it's an amazing experience.

I enjoyed introducing people to some of my favorite parts of Canada, and now we're doing the same thing here on Isla. It's fun to point out places of interest, and I'm realizing that our guests are really enjoying what is available to them, and it's time I paid attention and spent a little more time doing the same.

Here is one of my favorite beach areas, because it is like a natural swimming hole but with the view of the surf.



Yesterday, driving around the east side, I spotted a rocky place where I want to sit and eat sandwiches. Maybe today - it's a gorgeous day.

5 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Sue, when we moved to Seattle we acted like tourists for the first five years. I think that's because we both grew up in Kansas. Our touring kind of leveled off a bit after that, but we still did a lot more than my Northwest native friends. I think sometimes you're immune to the beauty around you when you grow up in that environment. We're still having a lot of fun seeing the sights in Arizona and the Southwest. Seize the day!

Bennie said...

Great pictures Sue. I know that feeling about taking granted where we live. I do the same thing here in Myrtle Beach.

Vee said...

You make a great point, Sue. Discover what's in your own backyard, wherever it happens to be. You'll likely find a few treasures.

Anonymous said...

This morning when I was at the hairdresser’s while the color was processing I was looking at Oregon Travel magazine. I thought many times of all the places in my home state that I have not visited in years. I have not even been to the Oregon coast in probably four years.
When Denise was out here the summer before last I took her on the Mt. Hood scenic loop drive which I had not driven since Tara was maybe in junior high school.
With the high rate of unemployment in Oregon (in the top 5 month after month) I promised myself that this summer I will take a vacation trip to the Oregon coast. It is a beautiful place. I believe in spending money locally and supporting locally owned businesses so it is time I did my part and contribute toward the coastal tourism economy.

Sue said...

To All: Seems we all have some wonderful sites right under our noses. I agree with Jackie about supporting the local economy, wherever you are. Thanks for all your posts.