Sunday, September 28, 2008

I could have danced all night

I could have danced all night, and still have begged for more...

Last night I was sound asleep. The music started around 11:30 pm. A Quinceanera, a special birthday party for Mexican girls. A common event here in the colonias - this one was over in Canotal, I think.

Mexican and Latin music. Loud but sweet. It woke me up. I laid there and listened as they played many of my favorites. My toes started tapping. My head started bobbing in time with the beat. Then the shoulders, and finally the legs. I was dancing in my bed.

I thought Miguel was sound asleep, but then he rolled over. And he started dancing too. His dance was mostly a shoulder and hip routine before he drifted back off to sleep.

They played one song that I desperately want to have. I hear the song all the time - at every birthday party and when the tour boats bring the party-trippers over. I love that song, but Miguel doesn't know the name and I can't understand the words to even guess. Ahrrgg!

I will just have to be patient. Almost every song I've yearned for has eventually come to me - sometimes via the music being played in a taxi, sometimes by stumbling upon it while searching amazon.com, and sometimes someone sings the song on La Academia.

La Academia is similar to American Idol, but with heart-wrenching drama as well. Lots of tears every week - a little over the top for my taste, but I do enjoy hearing the songs and seeing the progress of the students from one week to the next. I will be watching tonight in case they sing that song that goes "la la lalala la la". Right now, since it's a great day to be indoors, I'm going to visit amazon.com, Latino genre, and see what I can dig up for my mp3 player.

Oh, and I'll need to take a siesta. My body feels like it danced all night; the music played until about 2:30 am.

1 comment:

Life's a Beach! said...

Sue, we actually used to have an outdoor Mexican dance hall/cantina right across the main road from our neighborhood when we first moved in here in Arizona. We felt like having margaritas every Saturday night! When you identify that song, let us know!