Thursday, December 11, 2008

What was it I was saying/thinking/going to do?

I've noticed that there's something going around, and it seems to be targeting the older crowd (over 45), as far as I can tell. It's this...

I will hear noise from somewhere in the house, and call out "What are you doing?". And then I tune out. So a few minutes later when I still hear noise, I call out again, "What are you doing?". Miguel responds "You JUST asked me that". Oh, did I? I guess I didn't wait to hear the answer, or I forgot what he said, or I forgot that I asked. Or maybe he didn't answer. Or any or all of those. Don't really know.

The other day we were on our way out when I decided to grab the camera. I had the camera in my hand when I remembered something I needed in the house, so I unlocked the front door, grabbed whatever it was that I needed, locked the door, and looked around for the camera. Where had I put it? Not on the terrace. So I opened the door again, and went all through the downstairs looking for the camera. No luck. Relocked the door and looked around again. Nothing. "Miguel, have you seen the camera?". "Oh my gosh Sue", he said, "it's right on your shoulder!". And so it was...hanging from my shoulder all along.

Miguel will often be in the middle of telling me a story and forget what he was going to say. And he is always misplacing things, because he does not have a good system where he puts things back where they should be so he will be able to find them again.

On Sunday I reorganized the laundry room, including the shelves of tools. I wrote down what was in there, because I know the next time we go to look for something we won't know which place we've put it in. A list should help us, until someone forgets to put back what they took and the list is now invalid. I'm not really sure though where I put the list...

This morning we bumped into a friend, and as we were chatting, he asked about a mutual friend. He called her by the wrong name and then "what was her name again?". How could he forget? He asks about her all the time. With the right name.

So there's something going on around here that is taking little pieces of our minds, bit by bit. Anyone else notice this?

8 comments:

Jan C said...

Oh Sue, it is not only going around there! Such VERY familiar stories. Seems like the older you get you have to focus more, seriously and with great intent :-).

IslaZina said...

The moon is looking mighty full. I think brain farts increase with the size of the moon! And our ages, of course!

Islagringo said...

What did you say? Were you talking to me?

K.W. Michigan said...

I think it hits over 50 .. happens to me all the time.

Bennie said...

Sue this was so hillarious! It's hitting those below 45 just so you know... I know I'm almost there, but know it's creeped down to the 44 year old's too.

Anonymous said...

It's called C.R.S.Can't Remember Shit. I even saw a book once with that title written by.... um, yes you know... whatever!

blancochar said...

When I was working, I preferred to consider it "information overload." Now that I've retired, I can only call it CRS!

Sue said...

To All: Nice to know it's not just ME. I think we're all running around on brain overload. We need less work and more siestas - anyone else agree?!